Friday

In Limbo

My dear Sarah Jane,

Oh so good to hear from you. And great to hear your decluttering is going swimmingly. It's funny you bring up old uni notes/books etc; I was just talking to my friend Riddle last night about the fact that I kept all my old uni stuff for YEARS AND YEARS and of course hauled it around the various flats I was living in for the better part of a decade. What an eejit. It wasn't until I was packing to come here to the States that I biffed it all, although I did actually keep that Honour/Fleming textbook, just in case. Good old Honour/Fleming. It's sitting on my parents' bookshelf and will probably never be read again. Ha.

As of today, the festival site is a ghost town. No patrons, no interns (apart from a handful rolling around like tumbleweeds). Some of the seasonal staff are packing up, permanent staff are alreday starting to plan for next year. Me, I'm in major limbo right now. I'm heading back to New York tomorrow for a couple of weeks which is awesome but I'm a bit worried about money. But I'm just going to do as many free things as possible. The key word here is FREE. My list is as follows *ahem*:
  1. Go to the Guggenheim. They have "Pay-what-you-wish" every Saturday 5:45–7:45pm.
  2. Free Tai Chi in Central Park
  3. Hang out in Bloomindales and get a free makeover. Apparently they sometimes have parties for brides-to-be and prom-goers in those big department stores, with champagne, DJs, lots of goodie bags and stuff. I can pretend. Whaddya mean, I don't look 17? WHADDRYOUSAYIN'?
  4. There are actually bars in NYC that have unlimited free drinks every Tuesday. Granted, it's el cheapo PBR, but still. I'm in.
  5. There's also this thing where you can swap your drivers licence for a bike and go cruising the streets for an afternoon. I think they even shut down traffic so it's just a bunch of cyclists tearing around like loonies. If it's true, that would be amazing. Research required.

So in other news, I might have something lined up on the job front but nothing is finalised so I'll keep it under my hat for the moment. But of course I shall keep you posted my dear. Write me soon. It makes me feel so much more grounded to hear all your news and know that Wellington is ticking along just fine without me.

Kiss kiss, Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment